As longtime readers know, I really hated the Alfa Romeo 4C in its concept car format. I thought it was overwrought, badly proportioned, and the matte red finish really did it no favors. Now that the production version has been unveiled, I think they really improved the design a lot. Although I am not in love with it, I think it's a truly nice looking sportscar. I was hoping it would come in cheaper than 60,000 Euros, but I suppose it makes sense. Just one question though: WTF is up with that side mirror protruding from the door?? That has got to be THE worst execution of a mirror I have ever seen!
For no reason, I decided to list my top 10 favorite racing engines. These are my personal favorites. Please feel free to share your own in the comment thread!
1) Matra V-12: Sounds like the wrath of the gods.
2) Aston Martin Straight Six: Smooth, with a wonderful guttural undertone.
3) Alfa Romeo Jano Supercharged Inline 8: The closest man has come to making a machine that sounds like a living, breathing thing.
4) The Colombo Ferrari V12: Needs no introduction
5) Mercedes V-12: Defined the era.
6) BRM V-16: Ill fated car, sounds like raw aggression.
7) Offenhauser Indy Roadsters: Spine-tingling and brutal.
8) Can Am V8s, Ford and Chevy: Iron fist of America, hell yeah.
9) Group B Rally cars: Hard to pick a favorite, but the Audi Inline 5 Turbo is probably the most unique and memorable.
10) Ferrari 412 F1: The last of the V-12 Ferrari F1 engines.